Sunday 1 November 2015

Back Into The Swing Of Things

Not that we've been out of the swing of things... perhaps what I mean is getting out of the Halloween imagery:



and onto something less holiday specific.


One of the challenges I'm finding with my Painting and Drawing class this term is the range of ages that my young artists fall into. I've found myself adjusting my lesson plans so that my younger students don't feel frustrated by their skill level and again so that my older students will still be engaged with the lesson. It's a thrilling juggling act and one that I take very seriously. I want my young artist friends to get as much out of our hour together as possible.

The images in this post are from a Painting and Drawing Pro-D camp I taught last week where the age range is about the same as for my weekly class. Regardless of what age my students are I am always able to talk to them about a part of their process that I watched them work through and what about their finished work I am really excited to see. While they are working I am also able to guide them in how they are approaching the project, sometimes giving them some insight that they might not have seen on their own. In some cases they have a very specific idea in mind and their finished art exceeds my expectations with very little input from me. Those are my favourite moments as a teacher; the ones where I get to learn something from my students.




As we move into November I've got some great new projects lined up for the Preschool classes and a multi week project for my older students that I am very excited to get started on.


If you are an art teacher how do you balance lessons with a varied skill level class room? Please share in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment